Welcome to YHAI
NATIONAL HIMALAYAN WINTER TREKKING EXPEDITION DALHOUSIE
Here ,you will meet a special type of person,just like you.Those unique people, who don’t think twice before setting of an adventure.You dare to be different,than your friends back home.While they’re watching the same TV again,you’re having an epic adventure of a lifetime.My salute and best wishes for an epic adventure, to each one of you.Get ready adventurers, for an unforgettable experience of a lifetime.Years from today,the photos you took on this trek,will still make you smile . Weather permitting you will get to experience snow.I will be your campleader in one the camps on this trek route.Since I’ve done this before ,I’ve written this guide ,to help you’ve the best experience .
Trekking for the first time ever
Wow,first time adventurers.Weather permitting you will get to experience snow and have your 1st snowball fight here A trek is an unique experience,different from any vacation.You’re immersing in nature like never before.I remember my first trek ,I was exhausted and had to mentally challenge myself to do it.It’s one of the happiest memories of my life.Even today the friendships made with fellow trekkers 15 years ago are strong.YHAI treks are designed for beginner to intermediate level.So,rest assured you can do this trek happily.However, there are some things for you to do :
1. A slight change in mindset is required to get the most out of your trek.How different is this from a normal vacation? Expect and be ready for basic comforts in accommodation.Most of the camps are in remote locations,which you can’t compare with city’s comforts.You will be provided built accommodation,of a basic adventure type.
2. I have seen trekkers as young as “just passed 10th standard” to senior trekkers as young at heart as 80 years ,successfully complete this trek.As a 1st timer ,you will be walking up and down Himalayas,stretching your physical limits.Don’t expect an easy walk in the park.So please, prepare yourself.Regularly take walks before the trek.This helps your body transition easily into an amazing trek.
3. It will be cold.Yeah I know Winter in Himalayas,of course it will be cold right Be mentally prepared for it. 4.This took time for me personally to learn.Respect the environment .Unlike back home,there is usually nobody to pick up that plastic bag, I threw on the trekking trail.Don’t litter or pollute water sources – you might be thousands of miles from home, but the smallest careless actions can be disastrous for local ecosystems and people.We came to enjoy the pristine beautiful Himalayas.Let’s keep it that way, for the next trekker behind us. These are YHAI standards Leave No Trace (www.lnt.org)
5.Do not wear boots fresh from the box .Ensure you break into them,by using it before the trek.
6.It’s Not A Race – Last Place Wins .How many miles are you averaging per day? Who’s “ahead” of you? Who’s “behind” you? None of that crap really matters and that type of thinking can actually do more harm than good. Focus on a pace that’s best for your body, stick with hikers that have a similar style, and take time to enjoy the trip. Anybody that makes it through to the end is a winner.Learn To Love Hiking – Even The Uphill Part 21 Tips For the First-Time Hiker
First time in the Himalayas
So,you’ve trekked earlier and loved it.Now you’ve come to the mecca of adventurers world wide.The Great Himlayas.Get ready to make a snow ball and launch at your trek buddies Weather permitting you will feel and touch snow.Himalayan treks are a totally different game altogether.Your body works the same amount to walk here compared to running in sea level.The cold temperatures are something new you will be experiencing.Be prepared physically for the long climbs and descents you will encounter here.
Experienced Himalayan trekkers
Congratulations, you’ve officially fallen in love with the Himalayas .Ensure you’re fit for the trek. There will be many trekkers who will need your guidance in your group.Humbly offer your help to them.Himalayas will always throw challenges your way,no matter how experienced you’re.Stay alert.
We campleaders thank you,for making our job easier,by helping the group.
How to reach Basecamp Dalhousie ?
The city does have an airport but tourists from different parts of the country can land at the airport Gaggal in Kangra to reach this hill station.
The airport is approximately 140 km away from the heart of Dalhousie.
Flights from Delhi to Jammu , Flights From Chandigarh to Jammu can be taken to reach Dalhousie.
Nearest Airport : Gaggal Airport, Dharmsala (37.8701)
Book your tickets here
Pathankot railway station which is the nearest railway station to Dalhousie is directly connected via rail to all major stations of North, East and West India. Major cities like Delhi, Jaipur, Ahmadabad and Jodhpur are connected directly to Pathankot via railway networks. There are various types of trains that arrive and depart from the city such as superfast, express and mail trains.
Pathankot to Dalhousie 80 Kms (2:30 hrs. by road)
Chakki Bank (CHKB) / Pathankot Junction (PTK) are just old and new names for the same station. This station to Pathankot Main bus stop(Maharana Pratap Inter State Bus Terminal,on Gurdaspur Road) is a 10 min Auto ride ,a distance of 4 Km. Pathankot Cantt ( PTKC ) PTKC is another nearby station , right in the middle of the town,just 500 m from the main bus stop .
Book your train tickets here
The city is connected with all major cities of the country as the national highway links Dalhousie with Pathankot and hence, one can easily reach by road. Dalhousie is connected with the cities like Chamba, Dharamshala and Shimla. You can find regular cab and bus services which provide solutions to reach Dalhousie.
Distance Charts to Dalhousie
|Pathankot to Dalhousie ||80 Kms (3:30 hrs. by road)|
There are no buses after evening for Dalhousie,leaving from Pathankot.Plan accordingly.
|Delhi to Dalhousie||585 km |
|Dalhousie to Shimla||336 km|
|Dalhousie to Chandigarh||300 km|
|Dalhousie to Manali||360 km|
|Dalhousie to Amritsar||191 km|
|Dalhousie to Jammu||190 km|
Dalhousie to Dharamshala
BOOK your BUS Tickets here
STATE GOVERNMENT TRANSPORT
Hire a car
Most frequently asked question to a Campleader
Million Dollar Question : Will I see snow ?
Honestly there is a high chance ,but there is no way we could be 100% sure.Last year almost all groups ,got to experience snow.
Wishing you loads of fun in the snow
BASECAMP RECEPTION’s Check in formalities
At the reception ,you will finish the registration process and be allotted your shared accommodation. YHAI can’t compromise on this process,as it is a legal requirement.Please read and ensure you have the necessary things for registration.
If you booked offline :
1.You will show your valid YHAI membership card
2.Submit two passport photos
3.Submit medical certificate(don’t need to,if already given while booking)
4.Take a Reporting slip from the reception and fill it up.Note the spelling and format you use for your name here ,will be copied exactly on your trek completion certificate.
5.Collect your IDENTITY card .This card will have a record of reporting date,Equipment issued and signed at each camp of your trek.Please be careful with it.
If you booked online :
1. You will show your valid YHAI membership card.If you don’t have one ,you might be given a Temporary membership number while booking online,show that.
2.Submit your admit card,given to you during online booking process
3.Submit two passport photos
4.Submit medical certificate
5.Take a Reporting slip from the reception and fill it up.Note the spelling and format you use for your name here ,will be copied exactly on your trek completion certificate.
6.Collect your IDENTITY card .This card will have a record of reporting date,Equipment issued and signed at each camp of your trek.Please be careful with it.
YHAI membership card or Receipt of payment for membership fees(ADMIT CARD) and original Medical Certificate is must to enter into the Base Camp. Without these documents participating members will not be allowed at Base Camp.Without admit card, original membership card & trekking medical certificate, the booking will not be considered as confirmed.
If you have extra luggage ,you can deposit it in our cloak room, before you start the trek and collect it back on Day 6.
Notice for Participants:
1. Smoking, use of alcohol and narcotics of any description is strictly prohibited during the course of the program.
2. Deviation from the set route of the program is not permitted. If participants may wish to join any other activity, they may do so at their own responsibility and risk only after finishing the program and checking out.
3. Stay other than YHAI Camp is not allowed for the entire duration of the camp.
4. This is an environment friendly trek. Do no litter any wrappers or spoil the trial in any way. In case you find any wrapper, plastic bag or anything left by trekkers on the way, please carry the same with you and deposit at the base camp. Burning of wood during camp fire is strictly prohibited. Import of any bio Non- degradable Material in Himachal Pradesh is an offence.
5.Ladies and Gents will have separate accommodation.Entry to the other gender’s dormitory is prohibited.Families too are expected to follow this discipline.
Advance reporting: Your accomodation has been arranged on your official day of reporting only. Since you have arrived earlier ,only if there is vacancy, Base campleader will be able to arrange your stay at the hostel.Vacancy at YHAI hostel can’t be predicted.So avoid getting stranded by pre-booking your stay in any lodge/hotel in Dalhousie town. Note that during December/January Christmas vacation,it may get difficult to get a room,on the spot.So ensure you have pre-booked.
Book Alternate Accomodation HERE
ON DAY 6 When you return by bus from Mangla.It will take around 1hr for check out procedure and get your certificate.Around 12.30 pm you can leave for home. ——————————————————-
BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME
Give your family,friends your exact travel plan details.The Flight /train/Bus details ,Time of departure and arrival.
There will be little to no mobile coverage in some parts of the trek.Please communicate this to loved ones back home and give them BASECAMP Dalhousie number .Incase they need to pass an urgent message to you. Phone : 01899 – 242189, 240929
Recharge your currency now,since you will be trekking some days in forest area,where there will be no mobile currency shops.Activate your roaming packs .
Pay other bills to avoid late payment fees,since you’re in the trek.Like DISH TV ,Electricity,Internet connection.
Have an important date coming up,when you’re in the trek.A loved one’s birthday ,Anniversary ? Pre book here to send them flowers /gift.They will cherish you for it.
Be prepared for Travel emergencies.I wish you a happy journey,but it always to be prepared. Example : If your credit card or mobile phone is stolen, always know where to find the inactivation phone number. Your bank, credit card issuer usually has a 24 hour emergency number for blocking cards.For more emergency tips read this and that.